Saturday 4 July 2009

1254 The Secret Army and Lost

It is mid afternoon, Wednesday 9th January 2008. This is the day five years ago that my mother was first admitted to residential care. Later in the day my aunt, the woman who provided mothering in childhood was admitted to hospital, and where because of policies and circumstances she developed a secondary hospital based infection from which she subsequently died. One of the things which drives me forward is the conviction that establishing, in accordance of the ways such things need to be established, what happened, because I am certain that my present understanding is as close to the truth as one is ever likely to get, will enable me to write the story of my mother, her sister and me in such a way that I will be look them and myself in the eye. However it is evident it is going to take time as this morning I received yet another notice advising of at least another four weeks delay, so just as well the New Year Resolution on the matter was patience, let the nature of the beast take its course.

It was very cold then, and in the London area there had been severe snow and this had been one factor in the decision to delay travelling immediately. It was very cold this morning as I decided a I needed to venture out although the temperature was said to be much higher than it felt or me. It was the coldest I have experienced for a long time, yet there is a clear blue sky even now as the wintry evening begins. I needed some stamps to post two important letters. I then visited the Health centre opened by the Foreign Secretary in July, to check that my general practitioner was still there and he was and also to note the names of a couple of other doctors which I had been unable to provide when asked on Saturday morning. Sometimes I feel time is escalating but last Saturday morning feels such a long time ago.

I decided against going to bank although I was well wrapped up and wearing my Russian type hat. However I did the shopping needed, some bread, cheese slices, eggs, grapes and bananas, Tissues and a beef stir fry for Sunday when I hope it will be warmer otherwise I may consider watching the game on TV. I so enjoyed the bream last night that I decided to have the remaining portion of two fishes tonight, again on their own, but I think some squeezed lemon will go well.

I weighed myself later that evening and found that I registered 16.5 which is closer to how I had been feeling and which means I will have to work harder over the coming months to achieve the process of gradual reduction to 15.3 the target I had set for last year in the hope of reaching below 15 this year. I am also unsure about the London trip, not so much about the cold but I am weaker although I did fix one of the curtains at the window next to this desk. Irrespective of whether the London trip takes places I will also sort the out my affairs early on. Everything is taking longer than anticipated but I am sticking to the task plan.

There was a period when I would allocate an hour of my day to watching a TV series because episodes were on consecutive days. Secret Army, about at an underground escape line for downed air crew run from a café in Belgium used by the German command and others who profited from the war and did not mind dining out and drinking champagne with their occupiers. The best of such a subject which I have seen several times through from beginning to end. Along with Tenko about being a woman in captivity in the Far East. The FX channel also had a great series about the war in Vietnam, Bergerac the Isle of Wight policeman who went off to France and played private eye and also Lovejoy on antiques are a few that come immediately to mind. Now it is Lost at 2 with the opportunity to see the episode again on Sky 2 the following day. I should and would like to work more but I am tired and need a break so will watch a DVD. Tomorrow though whatever else happens I will begin from where I left off Rivera 2.

The DVD is part of Lost 2 series, a compendium of interviews and information, some of which I have now seen, and is similar to that with the first series in that it adds to the understanding gained to date, What remains evident is the continuing emphasis on maintaining quality and inventiveness, the appropriate expression is continuing to push the envelope, an I prove upon the standards and the public interest first aroused. However it was with the fourth episode of the series three that the great revelation emerged, This is that the others inhabit not the island but a smaller one adjacent to it and that they have access to the big bad world beyond the force field of the island.

As I promised yesterday the day has been devoted to further work on Rivera 2 where I need to complete two additional sets before my trip. Leaving the other two additional sets until my return. The first task was to complete the work on open space and Roker Park Sunderland. I had already drafted two pages of text which needed some additional work I Selected 33 photographs to make seven pages of four and one full A4 of the Waterfall. It was the time to begin the Coast between the two rivers commencing with Seaside South Shields. One page and three quarters of text and 34 photos, again seven pages of 4 plus one of two. The section covered the Little Haven Hotel and beach, to the pier, the Amusement Park and all seasons play area, the main beach, the amphitheatre, the covered walkway to the Sand Dancer. The second sections covers the rugged coast from Trow Rocks to Marsden Bay and I included 48 photos in sets of 4 with a page and a half commentary. The work progressed smoothly until the printer became disobedient and for a time refused to recognise the cartridges, not just individual refills but the full set of six, I refused to panic took deep breathes and after unplugging and restarting a couple of times the system responded and the work was completed. The new photo card dries quicker and although thicker I should be able to complete the work using the existing volumes, and by to morrow evening if the same level of attention given.

I listen to Gibraltar radio in the mornings at present, although turn down the speaker when writing. I watch only Lost at 2pm and then the Big brother House over views between 7.30 and 8 and again 9 to 10. The three personalities recently have been Russell Brand, a media creation with a drugs and alcohol background and a PR which boasts of his conquests with famous and infamous ladies.. I missed the involvement of Ian Wright who I have a lot of time for and none for John McCririck until now but I confess he appears to have handled his time in a positive. I also saw something of Kelly Osbourne who appears to be maturing in a positive way. Janet Street Porter was on to day but her review will come tomorrow. Amy the contemporary artists appears to have become well liked and well regarded which I had not expected given the popular view of those engaged in the concept. The most talented is Amelia the contortionist, roller skating and high wire artist who performances required hour upon hour of rehearsing and look, and are, extremely dangerous. The suggestion of other participants that she would do well in a Bond film hits the mark.

However the great news of yesterday on the sporting front was the departure by mutual agreement of big Sam from Newcastle and I will resist saying I told you so because for a few games I thought he was showing the ability to function in the big time and his buys appeared good ones. There is great speculation about who replace him. I cannot believe that a successor and staff have not been lined up. I have my own mini list of what could work and also be acceptable to the fans but it wont happen, Keegan as Director of Football and Alan Shearer as the Manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment